Publishing your dissertation is a requirement at RWTH Aachen University. The number of copies you need to submit will depend upon the doctoral degree regulations and the form of publication. You can publish your dissertation online or in printed form, both of which can also be published by a publishing house. Once your dissertation has been submitted, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt, which you will need to hand in at the Office for Doctoral Studies.
Please consult your faculty or institute for guidelines and regulations concerning the format, content, organization and style of your dissertation or post-doctoral (habilitation) thesis. The same applies for the cover and overall presentation of your dissertation. The Library accepts dissertations in a variety of binding styles provided that the dissertation is securely bound, i.e. not spiral or coil bound.
If you select this option, the University Library will publish your dissertation on the RWTH Publications server for you.
Staffed Service Hours
Monday to Friday from 9am to 12 noon
Please note: It is necessary to book a dissertation submission appointment.
Selecting this option ensures that your dissertation is published in print and online simultaneously via RWTH Publications. If you decide to do this, please bear the following points in mind:
- Clarify any legal queries with the publishing house in good time.
- Please ensure that you grant the publishing house non-exclusive rights of use and not exclusive rights of use to your work. The latter is common practice for many publishing houses.
- Fill in the Online Form.
- Upload your publication (PDF and original format e.g. Word or LaTeX).
- The PDF file will be made available and accessible online after official approval and authorization by the faculty in question.
- The author agreement will be displayed at the end of the online form. Please print out the form and sign it.
- By signing the author agreement, you agree to grant RWTH Aachen University Library the right to disseminate your work online.
- Book a dissertation submission appointment.
- Submit your signed author agreement to:
E-gallery, room EE 016
It is also possible to submit the documents via mail.
Please note: As of January 2015, the University Library only accepts 1 printed copy (archive copy) of online dissertations. This change currentlyaffects dissertations from the faculties stated below, which have implemented new doctoral degree regulations and guidelines: the Faculty of Mathematics, Computer Science and Natural Sciences (Faculty 1), the Faculty of Architecture (Faculty 2), the Faculty of Civil Engineering (Faculty 3), the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (Faculty 4), the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Faculty 6), the Faculty of Arts and Humanities (Faculty 7), the School of Business and Economics (Faculty 8) and the Faculty of Medicine (Faculty 10).
Benefits of Publishing Online
Your work has enhanced visibility worldwide and is more easily accessible and searchable.
Your work contains a permanent, stable URL, which means that it can be cited reliably.
You only need to grant the University Library non-exclusive rights of use to your work. You are then free to republish your work at any time.