Sous Chef Cover Letter
Sous Chefs are second in command in a kitchen and follow the instructions of a head chef. This job requires both culinary and managerial skills – Sous Chefs need to make sure dishes are prepared in an efficient manner and satisfy customers’ expectations. Essential responsibilities of a Sous Chef include: creating menus, managing kitchen staff, identifying training needs, directing food preparation when the head chef is not available, creating plate designs, and adhering to food hygiene standards.
A well-written cover letter sample for Sous Chef should emphasize the following skills and experiences:
- Culinary skills
- Kitchen management expertise
- Creativity and innovation
- Problem-solving orientation
- Stamina and physical fitness
- Attention to safety
- Computer literacy
- Research skills
Those interested in a Sous Chef position can check required qualifications in the cover letter example displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Sous Chef Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Jackson:
Upon discovering your posting for a Sous Chef, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. As an experienced and detail-oriented professional with six years of experience supporting executive chefs with a full range of kitchen and food prep tasks, I am prepared to significantly contribute to Palladino Beach Grill’s goals.
My experience includes overseeing general kitchen activities, staff supervision, and supply management to streamline kitchen operations and realize optimal dining experiences for restaurant patrons. From scheduling and motivating staff and facilitating catering events to spearheading staff training initiatives and ensuring financial control and accountability, I excel at leveraging my thorough knowledge of food preparation and restaurant kitchen practices to provide an exceptional level of customer service.
Highlights of my experience include…
- Assisting the executive chef at H&W Fine Dining for the past six years as a Sous Chef; preparing a broad array of meals for 125-seat facility and optimizing food taste and quality to drive a 170% increase in entrée sales.
- Playing a key part in the creation of new menu items with a focus on local, in-season, and organic ingredients within budgetary guidelines.
- Possessing solid time management and organizational skills, along with superior talents in staff training, development, and leadership.
- Earning a diploma in Culinary Arts from the Pittsburgh Culinary Institute.
My skills as a sous chef have been finely honed, and I am confident my additional strengths will readily translate to your environment. The chance to offer more insight into my qualifications would be most welcome. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to speaking with you soon.
William. D. Adair
Cover Letter and Resume Examples for Cooks
If you're applying for a job as a cook, your job application should emphasize your experience in food services along with any credentials and education. In your resume and cover letter, it's also a good idea to highlight cooking-related skills, such as attention to detail, customer service skills, the ability to flourish in a fast-paced environment, and more.
Below, you'll find a example of a cook's resume and cover letter.
Use these two documents for inspiration while creating your own resume and cover letter.
Cook Cover Letter Example
Review this example of a cook cover letter below. For more help with your cover letter, review formatting tips, additional cover letter examples.
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
I am applying for the job of cook at XYZ Hospital.
You specify that you are looking for someone with cooking experience and customer service skills. My skills and experience make me an ideal candidate for the position.
I have been working in the culinary industry for seven years. For the past three years, I have served as a short-order cook at XYZ Diner. I am therefore comfortable preparing meals quickly and efficiently - a necessary skill in a busy hospital cafeteria. I have also served in other capacities in restaurants; I began as a dishwasher, and then spent three years as a line cook at XYZ fast food restaurant.
I would be comfortable performing a variety of tasks in the cafeteria.
You state that applicants should have strong customer service skills. As a short-order cook, I constantly interact with customers; I serve customers seated at the bar, and know how to maintain a positive report with customers. In fact, I received the award for "Employee of the Month" four times at XYZ Diner, due in large part to my customer service skills.
I am confident that my experience and skills will make me a valuable member of the XYZ Hospital culinary team. I have enclosed my resume and will call within the week to see if we might arrange a time to speak together. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Signature (if hard copy)
Cook Resume Example
The following is a resume example for a cook. This resume includes work experience in the food industry, even work experiences that did not necessarily involve cooking. It also contains personal information and education sections.
Note how this resume quantifies information wherever possible. Using numbers — such as customers served, people supervised, training hours, etc. — helps make your accomplishments clear to potential employers. This resume does not include a summary section or a skills section, but those are two optional sections you can consider adding to your resume. Here is more information on how to write a resume.
123 Main Street, Albany, NY 12242
Short-Order Cook, XYZ Diner, Albany, NY
- Cook and serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner to over 200 customers daily
- Developed new recipe for breakfast sandwich; became one of the most popular menu items
- Awarded Employee of the Month four times due to customer service and culinary skills
Line Cook, XYZ Fast Food Restaurant, New York City, NY
September 20XX-May 20XX
- Prepared meals for customers in efficient, timely manner
- Followed recipes and presentation specifications as set by restaurant management
- Cleaned and maintained station following latest hygiene standards
- Dishwasher, XYZ College Cafeteria, New York City, NY
September 20XX- September 20XX
- Responsible for ensuring dishes were washed efficiently to guarantee timely customer service
- Trained fifteen incoming employees on operating techniques for washing equipment
- Performed prep work (chopping, assembling sandwiches) when cooks required assistance
XYZ University, May 20XX
Certificate in the Culinary Arts
- Received over 200 hours of hands-on training on topics ranging from basic cooking skills to menu planning to kitchen hygiene and safety
XYZ College, May 20XX
Bachelor of Arts